Action Pact Receives BAM Award of Excellence
Recently the Kansas Department of Commerce named 23 Regional Business Excellence Award winners and 52 Merit Award winners as part of Business Appreciation Month, the Department’s annual celebration of Kansas businesses and their contributions to their communities and the state economy. Among the 23 Business Excellence award-winners is Action Pact, based in Manhattan, KS.
Award qualifications include:
- Business expansion in Kansas
- Successful employee retention and recruitment practices
- Employee training/educational programs
- Capital investment in Kansas
- Support of local activities including school activities, community events, economic development and leadership programs
Action Pact CEO Steve Shields Speaks in Ireland
The Irish Council for Social Housing invited Steve Shields to present at the ICSH BIENNIAL NATIONAL SOCIAL HOUSING CONFERENCE: Turning the Tide for Social Housing, which took place this week (Sept. 16-17) in Co Offaly. The topics he addressed were:
- The need for a national debate in Ireland on how to offer greater choices and flexibility to older people who require housing and care / supports as they age.
- At the moment many older people simply move out of their home into nursing home care when they require a little support.
- How individual Departments, e.g. health, environment as well as local groups must come together to create safe, secure communities for older people. Policy making comes mainly from silos in Ireland now!
- There is an existing infrastructure of housing associations who provide housing and supports to older people in Ireland – funders and policy makers need to look at how best to further develop, utilise and fund this resource as well as replicating it, as it embodies much of what the Action Pact household model is based on.
- Changing demographic trends (of an ageing population) means planning should be occurring now. Now is the time to look at developing appropriate housing options for older people which incorporate the following:
~ Community support – to ensure that the scheme is an integral part of the life of the local community and that residents of the scheme are given the opportunity to be involved in meaningful activities.
~ Appropriate Care supports – allocated to the scheme allowing for the changing needs as people age and to assist people to remain at home for as long as possible.
~ Age Friendly design – that is attractive, affordable and which addresses older persons needs.
~ Appropriate location – Close to those services that are most required as we age (post office, shops, health care services etc.).
Was it the Lure of Vegemite?
Megan Hannan found herself in Australia for much of the summer (well, it was summer here) — working with our wonderful friends at Uniting and many of their 70 sites that are committed to moving to households. First step: Embracing Action Pact’s approach and philosophy of PersonFirst®. She’s back in the U.S. now, but will boomerang back with LaVrene come November. These folks are serious in their commitment to culture change and to households! (See the “Back to School” post for some of their stories)